Excerpted from “History of Hatfield Borough, 1898 – 1998”
Published in 1998, Hatfield Museum and History Society.
The Borough began looking into the feasibility of constructing and operating its own electric generating plant. After much discussion, (and some heated controversy), it was decided to proceed with the construction of a diesel powered electric generating plant, and on July 6, 1931, the Hatfield Borough electric plant was placed in operation.
The annexation of additional Township property on W. Broad St. was discussed, but decided against. Also that year, the Borough built a new water tower on N. Wayne Ave., on ground purchased from Bethany Church.
Seven Borough residents submitted a petition to Council requesting them to prevent the opening of a slaughterhouse at 128 S. Main St. No action was taken at that time, although it started discussion of establishing a Zoning Committee to create a Zoning Ordinance for the Borough.
Hatfield Borough joined the nation in the war effort with food rationing, War Bond Drives, Victory Gardens (sponsored by the Hatfield Chamber of Commerce), Gas Stamps, Fuel Oil Stamps, Food Stamps, and bans on pleasure driving. Collections were held for old silk & nylon stockings, paper, tin cans and used cooking grease. (Advertisements in the Hatfield Times reported that 1 teaspoon of used cooking grease would make enough gunpowder to produce five machine gun bullets).
August 14, 1945
V-J Day, was indeed a day of celebration. The fire siren sounded for about 10 minutes after which the Fire Company started a parade around town that grew quickly as it proceeded through the streets of the Borough. Bells and sirens sounded for hours in celebration of the day of victory they had long been looking for.
The early 1950’s
A group of Hatfield Township residents approached Borough Council to discuss annexing properties on Cowpath Rd. up to Bergey Rd. Council conducted a survey that showed that most residents were not in favor of the annexation and the subject was dropped.
The Borough Sewer Treatment Plant was placed into operation in January, 1960, (the entire sanitary sewer system construction project was completed by September), and the Borough picked up resident’s Christmas trees, at the request of the Fire Chief, to reduce the fire hazard. Also in 1960; Council adopted a resolution stating that connecting Union St. to Forty Foot Road with a straight road had merit and should be considered by the State Highway Department.